Tuesday, September 7, 2010

BBQ Tofu Pizza

I baked a bbq tofu pizza a few weeks ago and the husband rejoiced.  My crust; however, was a flop.  I bought one of those canned pizza crusts and didn't even think to pre-bake it.  The middle of the pizza was a soggy mess.  So today I decided to try again.  I still cheated; I'm trying to use up a family-sized box of Bisquick or I'd be sampling doughs today.  I also had a ton of veggies to use up.

I decided later that I would not be adding any cilantro.

For the pizza toppings, I used:
1 package super firm tofu, cubed and patted dry
1 bottle BBQ sauce
3 cups spinach, stems removed
1- 1/2 cups feta
2 small tomatoes, sliced and patted dry
1 large red pepper, chopped
1 large purple onion, chopped
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cups green onion
2 serrano peppers

To make the dough, I needed:
4 cups Bisquick
1 cup hot water

I mixed those two together into a dough.  The instructions mentioned that I could add more flour if I wanted a thicker crust, but I did not and there will be more discussion on that later.  I did add a few tbsps garlic powder, then rolled the dough out onto a pizza stone, covered the edges of the crust with foil to keep them from burning and pricked it for ventilation.




I then baked the crust for 15 minutes at 400.  I wasn't sure how much time it needed, so I checked in on it once every 5 minutes.  It got very fragrant around the 13 minute mark, and that's usually a good sign that a baked good is ready.

Meanwhile, I drained my tofu and set it aside to marinate with a few tablespoons of BBQ sauce.  I chose Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet Vidalia Onion sauce.  Once all the veggies were chopped, I added them to the bowl with another good squeeze of BBQ sauce, probably about 1 cup total.  A few more tablespoons went directly onto the crust.





I sprinkled on all the feta I had and realized it was only 1/4 cup, so I substituted with goat cheese, but I recommend using all feta if you have it.  The feta and BBQ got spread all over the bottom of the crust and I dumped the toppings over it- there were plenty of the leftover toppings that went into the fridge.  The tomato slices went on top, and I crumbled the goat cheese over the top before baking.  Lastly, I buttered the edges of the crust for color.  This is what came out after 20 minutes:





It looked pretty delicious, so I cut into it and took a few bites.  The toppings were too heavy for the very biscuit-like crust, and they kept rolling off the sides of the slice.  Next time I will try more finely chopped toppings, and I'll definitely do my own crust from scratch.  The edges were dry and fluffy; the rest of it was sweet and crunchy.  Some butter or shortening could maybe help that.  I can't imagine anyone wanting a thicker crust, so if you're using the Bisquick method, I would opt out the option to add more flour.    

The tofu was lackluster.  The last time I did this, I could only get my hands on silken tofu, and I much preferred it.  It blended with the cheese and almost disappeared in the sauce, rather than maintaining a heavy bland flavor.  I'll switch back next time.  

I should also note that while I'm currently off meat, my husband is not.  I typically add diced grilled chicken to his half just before adding the veggie toppings.


Toppings, toppings everywhere!  I used a fork.

Anyway, I doubt the husband will complain about the leftovers.

<3,
Nutmeg


No comments:

Post a Comment