Thursday, September 9, 2010

Extremely Gross Banana Bread... Maybe

I tried to make some banana bread today.  I've made it before, but never well.  So when I found this banana bread recipe labeled "Extreme Banana Nut Bread," I thought it might help me add a little moisture and density to my bread.  Little did I know...


The recipe explicitly stated that I could use either white or brown sugar, so I decided that sugars would be the subject of my experiment.  

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
2 cups overripe mashed bananas
4 beaten eggs
1 cup chopped walnuts
I made two half batches and used white in one and brown in the other.


Already, I noticed that both batters looked a little... clotty.  Gross.  But I hadn't added any flour yet, so maybe it wasn't a total loss.  So I crushed 1 cup of walnuts in a Ziploc bag using the coffee cup crush method.

I suppose you could use a rolling pin, but this is way more fun.
Let's go Preds!

I mixed the flour and nuts into the batter, put the batter in greased & floured pans and popped them in the oven for 1 hour & 15 minutes at 350.



I won't waste your time.  The breads were equally clotty, and the color was the only difference after they were baked, except that the brown sugar loaf needed to be baked an extra 30 minutes. The taste and texture were indistinguishable.  And they would not release from the pan.

That was my opinion, anyway.

The husband; however, woke me the next day by saying, "I don't know what that is you baked last night, but it was delicious."  Despite not recognizing it as banana bread at all, he ate half the brown sugar loaf.  I asked if he liked Tapioca.  He said yes.





For my next sugars experiment, I would also like to make a bread with a 50/50 white and brown mix, and another one with cane sugar.  I fully expect the cane sugar to flop, and I don't want 4 loaves of banana bread around the house, so that will have to wait for another day.  Really I don't know when that will be, because after forcing down a slice of each, I have no desire to make more banana bread.

<3,
Nutmeg

No comments:

Post a Comment